Dogtown and Z-Boys


By Moss
4/22/07

Movie Review:

First, I almost NEVER see a movie right when it comes out. The last movie I actually attended in person (other than the Zodiac) close to the opening weekend, was Johnny Depp in, “Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory.” I liked it for what it was…a Burton genre classic, but I still prefer the original w/ Gene Wilder.

Z-Boys and Dogtown-
I could go on an on about my feelings about this movie. I WAS THAT KID. My little dream when I was about 12 or so was to become a professional skateboarder (in addition to wanting to be an actor, drummer, tennis player and surfer). I used to spend countless hours at Outdoor Skates (Kentfield, CA – 1979-1984?) helping Denise (the owner) assemble boards, run errands, hangin with the pioneer Mt. Bikers from Mt. Tam, etc. THAT was my second home while it lasted. The only real problem, was I sucked at skating. Ah, those Fucking Zephyr’s. Those guys could skate, pose, score chicks and get paid for it. There have been many times I have wanted to see this movie, including when it premiered and… actually holding a copy of the DVD at Best Buy on my way to the checkout stand, but ditching it at the last minute because of the 25.99 price tag. Gotta Love Pirate Bay. Great movie, made me kinda sad though, probably more nostalgic. It doesn’t get any better than pool skating. The movie focuses quite a bit on the Cali drought years, which I remember well. As the stickers on many toilets at the time read, “If it’s yellow, let it mellow. If it’s brown, flush it down.”

I thought the movie was going to be more Cab, Hasoi, Hawk, Mullen (the Powell-Peralta crew) but this took place BEFORE that crew came along. Next up, reminiscing on another favorite, the greatest street skating movie ever, the Powell-Peralta team in action, “Bones Brigade.”