World of Moss
May 30, 2008
From Dave Mitchell, Former Owner/Editor of the Pt.Reyes Light.
The fallow deer, native to the Near East, and the axis deer, native to South Asia, have been on Point Reyes since 1948. The park opened in 1965.
Citing the herds’ growth and their ancestors’ having been non-native, the Neubacher Administration in recent months has been attempting to eradicate all 1,000 to 1,200 of the deer.
About 180, including only a handful of axis deer, still survive.
Share to Twitter
Share to Facebook
Share to Pinterest